Get up to speed with what’s happening in VFX in Montreal.
I’ve just been hosting a series of talks and attending FMX in Germany. On the other side of the world in early June is another VFX and animation conference, effects America, this time in Montreal.
It’s no secret that the VFX industry has exploded in Montreal. There simply are so many studios there right now – MPC, Framestore, DNEG, Method Studios, Cinesite, Rodeo FX, Hybride, among several others. Which makes effects America a fitting event for a growing industry.
At the event, being held at Marché Bonsecours in Montreal on June 4th and 5th, many of these studios, along with software co’s and individual artists, will be presenting on recent projects and hosting master classes. They’ll also be part of floor exhibitors and a job fair.
Some of the key VFX-related sessions will be as follows:
- Dumbo, building Dreamland, with Framestore VFX supe Hubert Maston
- Enhancing VFX on TV shows with DNEG Montreal’s Head of FX Xavier Lestourneaud
- First Man’s VFX with DNEG VFX producer Michelle Eisenreich
- Dumbo’s CG creatures with MPC’s DFX Supervisor Carlos Caballero Valdes
- Mary Poppins Returns with Framestore
- Solo: A Star Wars Story with Hybride’s Joseph Kasparian and ILM’s Patrick Tubach
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms with MPC CG supervisor Mathieu Assemat
- USD at Rodeo FX with Guillaume Laforge
That’s a hefty line-up of major productions, although make sure you keep checking the sessions page for further updates. A large part of the event, too, is about networking, catching up with friends, and seeing what’s available job-wise.
If you’re interested in attending effects America, jump straight to the box office page. I think it’s great to see VFX in so many parts of the world.Buy issue #1 of befores & afters in print