What works, and doesn’t work, with movies that start as games?
The latest VFX Notes podcast with Hugo Guerra from Hugo’s Desk and Ian Failes from befores & afters dives deep into the art of films based on video games. We start with the game-themed Free Guy (which of course is not based on any particular game), and then segue into the history of movies that emanate from gaming. And, yes, we mention Angry Birds 2.
Episode run down
00:00:00 – Intro
00:07:11 – The review and VFX of Free Guy
00:27:53 – Deep Fakes on Free Guy, Mandalorian and Tom Cruise
00:35:20 – The review and VFX of Mortal Kombat 2021
00:46:04 – The VFX of Detective Pikachu
00:53:33 – Sonic the Hedgehog main character ‘redo’
01:00:48 – The groundbreaking VFX of Super Mario Bros.: The Movie
01:09:39 – The VFX of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
01:19:06 – Silent Hill
01:21:10 – The VFX of Warcraft
01:22:36 – Why don’t video games make good movies?
01:33:24 – Wrap up
01:34:34 – Patreon, YoTube members and Twitch Subs Credits
– Mortal Kombat coverage at befores & afters
– Monster Hunter article at befores & afters
– Sonic director interview at befores & afters
– Pokemon Detective Pikachu coverage
– The Angry Birds Movie 2, a look at the character work
– Super Mario Bros, a breakthrough VFX movie
– Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, looking back at that fun live-action promo