Hugo and Ian discuss movies and more in this latest episode.
Hugo Guerra from Hugo’s Desk and Ian Failes from befores & afters are back with episode 3 of VFX Notes. We offer our thoughts on what we’ve been watching, including Black Widow, give a preview of SIGGRAPH 2021 sessions, talk about why VFX artists need to know LUTs, and enter the discourse on CG vs. practical filmmaking.
You can listen in at Apple Podcasts and at Spotify, or via the embedded video below, which includes clips and images. Also below, a quick overview of the episode, and some detailed show notes. Also, here’s the RSS feed.
Episode run down
02:21 What we’re watching
24:30 SIGGRAPH preview
32:34 What is a LUT?
47:05 CG vs. practical
1. What we’ve been watching
– The Plot Against America: VFX Voice story
– Black Widow: Wikipedia entry
– Also, Hugo mentioned the Paula Rego exhibition at the Tate Britain.
2. The biggest VFX tech thing right now
A preview of SIGGRAPH 2021
– Much of the conference programme has been announced, with main sessions happening 9-13 August
– Some suggested sessions:
Featured Speakers (Ian’s program). Amy Hennig from Skydance New Media is one of the speakers.
3. Ian’s VFX tech question for Hugo
What are LUTs?
– Videos to check out, below
– B&H Photo article, ‘An Introduction to LUTs’
4. Things we’ve seen on the web that people should check out
The CG / practical debate
– The Insider piece on F9, below
– In The Heights articleYou can now subscribe to befores & afters magazine.