Hugo and Ian discuss movies and more in this latest episode.
Hugo Guerra from Hugo’s Desk and Ian Failes from befores & afters are back with episode 3 of VFX Notes. We offer our thoughts on what we’ve been watching, including Black Widow, give a preview of SIGGRAPH 2021 sessions, talk about why VFX artists need to know LUTs, and enter the discourse on CG vs. practical filmmaking.
Episode run down
02:21 What we’re watching
24:30 SIGGRAPH preview
32:34 What is a LUT?
47:05 CG vs. practical
1. What we’ve been watching
– The Plot Against America: VFX Voice story
– Black Widow: Wikipedia entry
– Also, Hugo mentioned the Paula Rego exhibition at the Tate Britain.
2. The biggest VFX tech thing right now
A preview of SIGGRAPH 2021
– Much of the conference programme has been announced, with main sessions happening 9-13 August
– Some suggested sessions:
Featured Speakers (Ian’s program). Amy Hennig from Skydance New Media is one of the speakers.
3. Ian’s VFX tech question for Hugo
What are LUTs?
– Videos to check out, below
– B&H Photo article, ‘An Introduction to LUTs’
4. Things we’ve seen on the web that people should check out
The CG / practical debate
– The Insider piece on F9, below
– In The Heights articleBecome a befores & afters Patreon supporter.